Brown Rice Penne With Marinara Sauce
Meat Free Monday’s
Meat Free Monday is a great way to limit red meat consumption, and while I still love a good steak, I am trying to limit red meats.
I recently discovered I have slightly elevated cholesterol, so I have made a few changes to my diet.
While I haven’t given up eggs and meat completely, I have limited my portions.
Moderation is KEY!
Going meat free is also kinder to the environment, and though I’m not a vegetarian, I do like to be a bit more mindful when it comes to food choices.
Meat free recipes aren’t the only substitute I’ve worked into my diet lately, I have also switched out regular pasta for brown rice pasta.
I hear amazing things about chickpea pasta, however I am sensitive to fructose, so chickpeas aren’t always my friend…
Brown Rice Pasta, is a great pasta substitute. High in fiber, rich in antioxidants, and great for those with gluten sensitivities.
Some of my go-to’s are the Tinkyada Organic Brown Rice Pasta, or the Trader Joe’s Organic Brown Rice Penne.
Pomi Strained Tomatoes
1tbs dried basil
1tbs dried oregano
1tsp dried rosemary
1tsp crushed garlic
1tsp chili flakes
1tbs olive oil
1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
Tinkyada Organic Brown Rice Penne
- using a saucepan, heat tomatoes and broth over a medium/high heat
- add herbs and stir into the sauce
- in a pan, heat the olive oil, garlic and chili, cook until lightly browned.
- remove from heat and add to the sauce
- heat the sauce until bubbling and reduce to a steady simmer about 30 minutes
- prepare the pasta per the instructions on the package
Serve with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese, for a guilt free, Meat Free Monday!